What once only seemed like only a dream came true Saturday--Paul graduated from Law School. He actually finished his classes in December, and questioned whether he was going to participate in the commencement exercises (not really thinking it was any big deal). But he was a good boy and did what I asked him to do.
I had hoped he would feel accomplished and acknowledged for all of his hard work. He completed law school part time while he continued to work full time (thus still being able to provide for our family). This was a 4 year journey. He commented to me that law school was the most difficult thing he has ever completed (this comment came while he was running his marathon--about mile 20, a VERY difficult part of the run). Law school was a difficult journey for all of us. The first two years, he had class 4 nights a week. That meant that the kids didn't see dad from Sunday night until Friday night. Many nights of dinner by ourselves, bed times without dad, etc. We had 2 babies while he was in Law school. All of our lives continued. It was hard on Paul to be away from all of us for that long. The second half of law school was much more manageable--he was able to be home every other night. That made a huge difference for all of us. Paul had some classes that were very challenging. One professor accused him of being a bigot, a male shovenist, a cheater and a racist (the lady on the end).
Other professors assigned an unfathomable and at times seemingly unattainable amount of work. But through it all, Paul pressed on. So when the opportunity came up to be acknowledged for all of his hard work, and create some closure to this Law school experience, I pushed for it. He looked so handsome in his cap and gown--so distinguished!
And because he graduated Magna cum Laude (gpa of 3.5 or higher) he wore the yellow "honor" rope. Of course the graduation ceremony was boring. We left the kids with a babysitter knowing how difficult it would be for them to sit through that ceremony. It was difficult for ME to sit through that ceremony. I wanted them to be there (at the end). After all, they were a big part of this journey as well. But knew it would be torture for them. There were a couple times when I questioned my decision. Especially when I saw other graduates with their kids. But my decision was confirmed when I heard the other kids crying, banging toys and falling off their chairs during the ceremony. It was then that I was thoroughly content to be sitting all by myself. I am so proud of him for graduating Magna cum Laude. He was among the top 5 of this graduating class. He is intelligent and hard working in everything that he does. He always strives for the best. Congratulations, baby!
We all love you!
1 comment:
congrates to you paul and the whole family! What an adventure and somthing to look back on and say I did it!
Post a Comment