Monday, December 20, 2010

This is my Temporary Home

Old man, hospital bed,
The room is filled with people he loves.
And he whispers don't cry for me,
I'll see you all someday.
He looks up and says, "I can see God's face."

"This is my temporary Home
It's not where I belong.
Windows and rooms that I'm passin' through.
This was just a stop,on the way to where I'm going.
I'm not afraid because I know... this was
My temporary home."
-Carrie Underwood

Grandpa passed away on his 97th Birthday. He left behind his sweet wife of 72 years. I hope she doesn't stay too long. Her loneliness and longing for his companionship is heart breaking.

Death brings a time of reflection on the life that was lived and the legacy that remains. "Remember who you are" is a phrase that should be engraved upon Grandpa's head stone. That, and "Chairs are for sitting on. Tables are for eating at. Floors are for walking on. Take all you want, eat all you take."

As a kid, I rolled my eyes at Grandpa's "words of wisdom". As an adult, those phrases brought about a chuckle. Now, as Grandpa is gone, those "words of wisdom" have found a new fondness as a reminder of a great man. The phrase "Return with Honor" above my front door is a spin off of Grandpa's admonishments.

Amongst the many memories shared of Grandpa during his funeral services, one is most profound in my mind. As a young man, Grandpa dropped out of High School so he could work to help support his family during the early days of the Depression. Over 50 years later, as Grandma and Grandpa were moving out of their life-long home together, Grandpa was adamant about a certain book of papers. In this book of papers was the G.E.D. he earned during his 70th years of life. Education was very important to Grandpa. I now have a new understanding for his riding Paul and I about Paul taking the BAR (even though he has NO intention of practicing Law).

Grandpa was as sharp as a tack until the last moments of his life. I visited him a little over a month before his passing. During our conversation, he rattled which of the nurses and/or care givers were coming on which day. He knew exactly what day it was. He could remember not only my kids names, but a little something personal about each one of them. That says a lot, considering this man has over 40 great grand kids. I don't know any of my cousins kids names.




I love you, Grandpa. God be with you 'til we meet again.

No comments: