Saturday, March 5, 2011

Happy 7th Birthday, Barik!



Rewind 7 years ago...
2 days over due.
I was HUGE!
And uncomfortable.
And frustrated.
When will THIS baby decide to come?!
Paul was off helping the neighbors move.
He came home and gave me a blessing that the baby would be able to come quickly and easily.

7:30 p.m.
First contraction.
I didn't want to get my hopes up. I contracted with Andrew for 6 hours one night...and NOTHING happened! Surely this would be the same thing.

9:30 p.m.
This is NOT the same thing!!! It's time to GO!
Contractions were coming FAST! I still had to get my bag.
Stop. Contraction at the top of the stairs. Walk a few more feet.
Stop. Contraction at the bathroom counter.
Quickly put a hospital liner down on Paul's BRAND NEW (he had just picked it up that afternoon) car where I would be sitting...just in case.

30 minute drive to the hospital.
With every contraction, Paul pressed the gas pedal a little harder.

10:15 p.m.
Pulled into the hospital (who parked the car?)
Contracting all down the hall.

"Why aren't you taking me to triage to make sure I'm REALLY in labor?"
"We can tell that you need to go straight to your room."

I tried to give them a urine sample. Failed. But I did tell the nurse that my bowels were begging me to stay in the bathroom. I didn't want to have an accident while delivering. How embarrassing!
"Oh no you don't. That's the baby. Time to get you up on the bed. Your midwife is on her way." To which I replied,
"Can I still have the epidural?" I don't think the nurse realized how serious I was.

10:40 p.m.
The midwife put her gloves on just in time to catch Barik. I was still in the shirt I had worn to the hospital. I didn't have time to get the gown on.

I don't think Paul or I expected the delivery to be THAT fast and easy.

Fast forward 7 years...


(Cooper, Maggie, Hayden, Barik)

(Wesley, Peter, Dylan, Landen)


(my awesome helper, Adrienne)






(Chocolate, Chocolate, Chocolate cake WITH strawberries...as requested by the Birthday Boy)

Seven Things I LOVE about Barik...
7. He's getting much better at trying new foods (and sometimes even likes them)
6. His freckles (he's got the most)
5. His kindness (he has a very tender heart and wants others to be happy)
4. His smile (his eyes twinkle every time he smiles...that makes my eyes twinkle too)
3. He's super laid back, and always has been (he army crawled until 12 months because it worked. Why change it?)
2. He wears his emotions on his sleeve (I always know exactly how he's feeling...good or bad. Just like his mama)
1. His laugh (Cooper and Barik laugh hysterically at the most random things...ALL the time!)

2 comments:

Herbert Family said...

That's such a cool birth story!

wackywilsons said...

I love that he got pringles and doritos for his bday. My kind of boy!!!

So fun to spend the afternoon at germ filled Chuck E Cheese!!