Sunday, July 10, 2011

My Baby is 3!

3 years ago, our family looked a little like this (minus Paul, of course):
Three years and 2 days ago...I was scheduled for an induction Tuesday, July 8.
I was to call the hospital at 3 a.m. to see if they had room for me.
After not sleeping a wink, I made the call to the hospital.
They told me to call back at 7 a.m.
In the mean time, Paul was sick and in the bathroom most of the night.
Very little sleep was had...by me OR Paul.
7 a.m... They STILL didn't have room for me.
I was discouraged, but still hopeful for the next phone call...to be made at 10 a.m.
10 a.m....NO?!?!
OH! Now I was MAD!!!
You don't mess with a 9 month pregnant woman!
I had already made my last dinner with my HUGE belly!

I had already cleaned my bathrooms and mopped my floors for the LAST time with my huge and uncomfortable belly.
I had picked up the toys on my hands and knees for the LAST time with my big belly (it was easier to crawl around than to hoist myself up and lower back down for those small toys).
And now they were telling me that I would have to perform all those tasks AGAIN?!
For TWO more days?!
NOT NICE!

Not nice at all!
So, I took a bath.
And I cried.
I didn't want to talk to a.n.y.o.n.e.
All of my friends expected a call with news of a baby.
I wouldn't make those calls this day.
I threw myself a great pity party (I was the only one invited).
My sweet friend Darbie brought my neglected family dinner.
She was my angel that day.
I was sure I would be pregnant
FOR-EV-ER!
Of course I wasn't.
But that was my reality on July 8, 2008.

Thursday, July 10, I called the hospital and was elated when they told me I could come!
Drake had been kicking me in the ribs all night.
It was FINALLY time!
I grabbed my bags and pillow and drove myself to the hospital.
(This was my 4th baby, after all.)
Paul and I both knew nothing would happen for several hours.
No need for him and the other 3 to be awake at that VERY early hour!
Everything was going smoothly.
I actually enjoyed the alone time.
I was able to reflect and connect with Drake for the last time while he was in my belly.
The nurses started a low dose of pitocin, and kept in touch with Dr. Forest.

At 9 a.m., Paul called to check in.
He had dropped the kids off at Alfia Lillie's and wondered if he had time to donate blood.
Sure!
NO way would this have happened with the first baby.
But this was the 4th.
We knew what we were doing.

9:30 Dr. Forest sat at the foot of my bed and broke my water.
It came gushing out, soaking him and the floor.
Where was the cork (the baby's head) to slow the water?
He ordered an ultra sound and saw that Drake had turned sideways.
Dr. Forest placed his hands on my belly and with all his strength, manipulated that sweet little baby to a more favorable birthing position.
He ordered the epidural and then we waited to see if Drake would stay head down.
By the time the epidural had been administered, Drake was sideways again.
"What would you like to do now?"
I wasn't sure what my options were.
Please tell me they weren't going to send me home and make me wait!
I asked me to tell ME what our options were.
"C-section."
One option?
Well, I guess that's the one we'll choose.

I was overcome with emotion.
I was nervous.
I hadn't anticipated a C-section.
I was excited.
I wasn't going to have to experience labor pains.
I was relieved knowing that Drake would come out safely.
In the quick minute that Dr. Forest and the nurses were out of the room, Paul administered a quick blessing.
I'm so grateful my sweet husband honorably holds and respects the priesthood, being able to administer a blessing at a moments notice.




The operating room was SO cold!
Paul couldn't come with me and I was really nervous.
I was completely exposed and embarrassed.
I know the Dr. doesn't think twice about it.
But at least when you push a baby out, there's the option of being somewhat covered with a sheet.
Not so in the operating room.
I had a sheet in front of my face so I couldn't see what they were doing, but I knew that NOTING was covering the rest of my body.
Oh well...
What could I do?
So I froze.
Teeth chattering kind of freezing.
I know it was only a few minutes, but I was so relieved when Paul was finally able to stand by my side.
Thankfully, they wouldn't let him watch either.

With a LOT of tugging, shoving and pulling, (not to mention the weird smell of MY burning flesh) Drake was born.
(Did you know that because Drake was sideways, the Dr. had to do the normal incision at the bikini line and then pull MY WHOLE uterus through that incision, lay it on top of MY belly and then slice MY uterus open the other direction? GROSS, I know!)
With this little bit of interesting information, I was told that I would never again be able to deliver the "normal" way.
My uterus would be too scarred to handle the stress of contractions...a contraction could cause the scar on my uterus to split open, thus creating a really big problem.
So IF a crazy accident happened, and I HAD to give birth again, the only option would be C-section.
No fun.
I think I'll just not get pregnant again.
That's a good plan. :)


Fast forward 3 years...

The day started like any other day...Drake woke me up at 6:30 a.m. He climbed into bed with me to snuggle for a bit. When I asked him if he knew what today was, he exclaimed, "It my Birfday! My bawoons?" This little tyke is so smart! He remembered that with birthdays comes balloons. He was so excited when he came down stairs and saw his balloons and birthday crepe paper hanging from the ceiling. "My party?"

With brothers and Dad still sleeping, Drake opened his birthday outfit and then we prepared the birthday pancake batter.

The Birthday boy with his loot and "bawoons".
For some reason, he was NOT impressed with his Birthday pancake.
It looks delicious to me...

Still not impressed...

Finally, a smile!
But he wouldn't eat his pancake until it was on a different plate.
This is the plate we use for all the Birthday pancakes,
but it wasn't what THIS 3 year old wanted!
After not eating his birthday pancake (syrup, whoopin cream and all), it was off to the bath where he serenaded himself with "Happy Birfday to you..." He serenaded himself with the same tune during the sacrament hymn. How can you not LOVE this little guy?



Our 3 year old is SO much fun! He is incredibly affectionate! He hugs us all. the. time. (to the point of mauling)

His hugs are always accompanied with "I LOVE you! You my bes fwen!"

At nap and bed times he wraps his tiny arms around Paul or I (whomever is putting him to bed) while we sing ABC's and Once there was a Snowman cheek to cheek.

Whenever I leave, whether it's for 30 minutes or 5 hours, he greets me with "I miss you, Mommy!"

No matter whose turn it is to say the prayer, it's ALWAYS Drake's turn. No amount of explaining will deter him from saying the prayer...often at the same time as his brothers or parents.

His 2 year old tantrums are quickly diminishing leaving behind a truly enjoyable "little buddy". For truly, wherever I go, he goes. (Do you remember that toy boy doll? "My Buddy. My Buddy. Wherever I go, he goes. My buddy. My buddy. I'll teach him everything that I know."

He runs errands with me.

He showers with me.

He bathes with me.

He follows me to the bathroom. I have to sneak around the house when I want a "time out". But I wouldn't change it. Really. I wouldn't.

This picture is not Birthday related at all, but I had to put it in.
On our trip up to Utah, Drake insisted on having the puke bowl on. his. head.
It was clean, bit still...GROSS!!!
I sure LOVE my little Buddy!

1 comment:

Arianne Pearce said...

Yeah! I loved all the updates. That's a funny video about your relay:) My goodness you are crazy HOT in those pics especially.

Drake is such a sweet cute boy!! I can just totally empathize with everything you said because Kyle is SO similar. I sure wish we could watch him grow!!

Glad you had a great time in Utah- so much fun with cousins!!