Friday, May 15, 2015

Adventures of a Young Women President

"Do you remember that time our Young Woman President took us to a Drag show?" This is now an inside joke between Emma Bentz, Scotlynn Blair and I.

Yup. That's right. I took my girls to a Drag show. If you know me, you know there has got to be a good explanation. So here it is.

I have this Laurel. Her name is Azaria Mailo. I think she's come to church once since I was called as the Young Women President (5 months ago). And she hasn't been to a single activity. This isn't due to lack of effort on my part. I've invited, informed, offered to pick her up. Most of the time she doesn't respond to my texts. So I sent her messages on FaceBook with a similar lack of response. And I don't just text her about churchy stuff. No one likes someone who only cares about whether or not they go to church. I want her to know that I love her. And I WANT to get to know HER. On a personal level.

On Tuesday, Azari's mom, Moana, posted on FaceBook that Azaria was performing in a talent show. Awesome. This will be a great chance to support Azaria and show her that I love her. Azaria has an AMAZING voice! Shortly after Moana's FB post, Azaria texted me (I LOVE when she actually texts me). "Hi Sister Boley, I've become oddly distant again, and it's not your fault at all! I'm sorry again, that's so awesome that you have seen my concert though, and I miss seeing everyone from Young Women's!"

So I sent a text out to the other Laurels asking them if they were planning on going to the talent show. They all go to the same High School together. I expected them to know about the talent show. But they didn't. I filled them in on what I knew (which wasn't much) and asked if they wanted to go support Azaria. It was then that Scotlynn figured out that the talent show was the "GSA talent show" (Gay Straight Alliance) and that there was going to be Drag Queen(s) performing.

Oh my. What have I done? I just invited my sweet, innocent young women to a Drag Show! I still felt it was important to support Azaria. And Jesus said love everyone (no matter their sexual preference). But is this appropriate? So, I sent a text to their moms asking their permission to take their sweet daughters to this Drag Show. Oh my! Emma's mom, Wendee said that it could be inappropriate. Cami, Scotlynn's mom said that Scotlynn was checking into it. She knew one of the boys in it and she also knew the teacher overseeing it.

Word got back to Scotlynn that it was clean. Scotlynn still wanted to go to support Azaria. And then Emma joined the band wagon.

So here we are. 3 Mormon women. Feeling slightly out of place. This isn't normally where the Mormon's go hang out. And yet here we were. Supporting our friend.

There was some amazing talent performed that night. There were 2 guys dressed in Drag that put on quite the performance. Secretly I was envious of his moves. And he had great legs. But the rest of the numbers were awesome.

The last performance was a monologue given by a gay boy. He told about his first experience in High School. He told about how he was made fun of. Bullied. And the school did nothing to protect him. He told of the tears that streamed down his face. Wanting to belong. To fit in. But not. He told about the GSA and how they accepted him. Welcomed him. Hugged him. Cried with him. Supported him. He promised that he would go on to fight for fair rights and fair treatment. It was a powerful,eye opening monologue. No one should be treated unkindly. I don't care what your sexual preference is. I don't care what color you are. Everyone is a child of God. And deserves kindness.

Yes. I did take my Young Women to a Drag Show. And I would do it again. Azaria was SO happy to see us there! She was SO happy that we came and supported her. Azaria is an amazing young woman. She is beautiful. And talented.


No comments: