Sunday, June 5, 2011

Potty Training Part II

After giving Drake a little time to get over whatever bug he had, we were back at the potty training thing.

This one really has been my easiest. I'm sure it's solely due to my attitude. I'm just not worried about it. I know he'll get it. He's a smart boy. So what if he has a few accidents in his undies? We change those wet undies and shorts and put dry ones on. No. Big. Deal. He didn't learn to walk in a day. Why would learning to go in the toilet be any different?

He's even getting the #2 thing down. Amazing! The other boys took at LEAST a month to be comfortable letting go of the "doo" in the toilet.

Last Sunday I found a diaper in the bathroom that he had taken off "My SELF". (he's SO independent!) That diaper had evidence of greater things, but where were those "greater things"? Not on the bathroom floor. Not on the kitchen floor. Not on the playroom floor. I can only guess that he emptied those "greater things" into the toilet. When I told Paul about this, he asked how I was sure that Drake emptied the diaper rather than picking up each piece and depositing them into the toilet with those sweet little fingers. GROSS!!! {going to my happy place again}. After he woke from his nap, I asked him what he did with the "greater things" in his diaper. He dumped them. Whew!!! He did the same thing a couple days later. He's getting it!

Then yesterday, while I was getting ready, he came upstairs with a soaked shirt and nothing on the lower half. Putting on my investigative hat again, the search began. The logical start for my search was the downstairs bathroom. JACKPOT!!! The floor had 1/2 inch of standing water. Soaking the bathroom rug. Soaking the missing shorts and undies. Overflowing out of the toilet filled with LOTS of toilet paper and...."Greater Things".

Flooding aside, who deposited these "greater things"? If it was Cooper (who OFTEN leaves his deposits for all to see), then shame on him and GROSS! If it was Drake, who is just learning his way around the "throne", then HOORAY! (but still Gross!) IT WAS DRAKE!!!

Knowing this mess had been made by our potty training boy made clean up...ok. How can I be upset about him depositing "great things"? How can I be upset about him using WAY too much toilet paper to wipe his TINY little hiney? How can I be upset about him flushing the toilet WAY too many times to get rid of his "greater things"? I can't. This may be the ONE time when cleaning up that disgusting mess was a happy occasion. OK, maybe not quite happy, but tolerable.

We're well on our way to saying "Good bye" to diapers forever. What a great feeling!

(He was SUPER impressed that I took this picture.
He'll be MORE impressed when he's a teenager...But how could I resist?)

3 comments:

Arianne Pearce said...

Yes... I can't imagine but I do hope to get there by 2012. I loved catching up! You are sure a creative writer. Glad you are doing so well.

Cambria said...

Wow! I really hope I can go through potty training with that kind of attitude. I will try to remember your moments when my turn rolls around!

wackywilsons said...

I need your same attitude.