I love dates with my boys
And the Mother/Son Olympics the school puts on is Right up their ally
Chick Fil A for dinner
Then off for fun and competition at the school
This year the events included:
*Baby Rattle
(balancing BIG water jugs on top of one another)
*Backpack Attack
(matching the items found in the backpack with their shape on the table)
*Balance Sticks
*Egg Roll
(Using a piece of card board, fan an empty plastic egg to the center of the floor)
*Junk in the trunk
(strap a kleenex box filled with ping pong balls to your back side and bounce the balls out)
*Oh Nuts
(using a stick, balance bolts on top of one another)
*Rock Wall
*Sock Sort & Shoot
(match socks, roll them up and then make a basket with the rolled socks)
*Stack Attack
(cup stacking)
*3 Legged Race
When it was time to go home, my boys TOOK OFF!
Leaing me in their dust...
They didn't open the door for me
(something I have trained them to do)
And were fighting over who got "shot gun" at the car
I had a moment to think (by myself)
On my way to the car.
We'd had such a great night.
Do I let this go,
Or use it as a teaching moment?
I chose the latter.
I got in the car.
The boys were still standing in the parking lot
Fighting over shot gun.
I waited for them to work it out for a minute or so.
They didn't
Carefully I started reversing out of my parking space.
Tempted to leave those fighting little punks in the parking lot.
How dare they spoil this perfect night?!
As I started moving,
Their focus moved from fighting over shot gun
To simply getting a ride home.
I let them in the car.
And then gave them an ear full.
"We are on a DATE, boys!"
"A gentle man NEVER leaves his date!"
"A gentle man ALWAYS opens the door for his date!"
"A gentle man doesn't fight in front of his date!"
Each boy reacted a little differently.
Cooper was defensive.
Barik silently dug his heels in.
Andrew appologized.
Later that night, I found this note on my night stand.
It's a note EVERY mother wants!
One I will cherish for the rest of my life!
I often wonder if I am teaching my boys anything.
But this note is evidence that my efforts are working.
No comments:
Post a Comment