Wednesday, September 30, 2009

It's been one of those days...

Yesterday Drake was running a fever and was NOT a happy camper. Between crying, sporadic naps, and snuggles, I was wiped out at the end of the day. So you would think I would sleep like a log, right? Not so. I woke up around 1:30 am and couldn't get back to sleep until after 3 am. Try as I may, I couldn't get thoughts of RAGNAR (a relay race I agreed to run at the last minute) out of my head (Who will watch the kids? Will we take them with us, or try to find a friend here to watch them? Will Paul run it too? Where will we park? Where will we stay? What should I take?) You get the idea. My brain doesn't work well in the middle of the night (it struggles in the middle of the day too), so of course none of these "pressing" issues were resolved in my head which equates to one very tired momma.

I knew I was in for it when my patience was already being tested at 6:30 am (of course the kids had been up since before 6 am). Cooper had a grocery store field trip today which was mandatory for a "responsible" parent to attend. After walking around the grocery store for an hour, Cooper was spent--throwing himself on the ground in tantrum mode. It's no good when mom wants to do the same. Trying my best to hold it together, I got him into the car (at which time another kicking and screaming tantrum is thrown). My saving grace...Nap time! And both kids should go down for a nap at the same time which means I could try to catch some zzzzz's too.

Cooper fell asleep on the way home. I knew it would be a fight to get him to go potty and then get into bed, but I could handle that. I knew the payoff would be worth it. Got Cooper in bed, got Drake in bed and then read for a few minutes to relax before attempting a nap myself. But that was not to be. Cooper came out of his room in 15 minute intervals, and Drake was awake an hour later. What's up with that? They both should have been exhausted! I knew I was!

So at this point, hopes for a nap vanished, I knew I was in trouble. Now I had to endure until bedtime. I knew the kids would be a mess--Drake was still running a fever, and Cooper isn't much fun when he's tired. Not to mention a tired momma (who isn't much fun either). And then an amazing thing happened. It took me a couple hours to realize it. I still expected the kids to be acting up, so was poised, ready to react to their crying, tantrum, bad moods. But instead, they were great! They played well together. And for the first time in 2 days, Drake was content, and even happy playing with Cooper (as opposed to being held by me).

It was then that I said a silent prayer thanking our Father for blessing my children with happiness when I felt I was at the edge of the cliff and ready to jump.

4 comments:

Erika said...

Days like that are rough! I know how you feel...but what a relief and blessing that they all played so well together.

wittygal said...

The world should be void of edges for the sake of all mothers.

wackywilsons said...

It really does take so much patience on days like that...your boys are so sweet though when they ARE playing well together...

Hopefully sometime between 2-6am the following morning you did get somethings figured out about the race???

Arianne Pearce said...

I am anxious to hear about this race too. SO jealous! I still can't run on my stinkin' leg. I love your boys and I am so glad that they gave you an afternoon of peace. Thank goodness!!! I have those days more often than I would like to admit...