Tuesday, December 15, 2009

My affair with Craigslist

has finally ended! And thank goodness for that! I was able to update all of my kitchen appliances with stainless steel through craigslist. First, I found the dishwasher and microwave. Since the gentleman selling them had them in storage (nowhere that I could make sure they actually work), I asked him if he would bring them out to the house so I could plug them in, thus making sure I wasn't being scammed. A similar situation happened with the fridge. The gentleman had just moved out the night before and still had the fridge in his UHAUL, so he brought it right over. The last piece I had to get was the stove. My luck with the stove had run out. It seemed that every time I called on a stove, it had either already been sold, the owner wanted to sell it as a set, or it was too far away. And this is how the obsession began. My obsession was only fueled when I would walk away from the computer (thinking to myself that I needed to get a grip, and get some balance in my life again) just to find that a stove had been posted and once again I was too late.

This madness went on for a week and a half (WAY too long) when another stove was posted, a bit more than I wanted to spend, but called on it anyway. Once again, I was the 2nd caller, but told the gal selling it that I would pay full price and be out that morning to pick it up. She called me a few minutes later and said it was mine. I literally had to fight back tears! I know it's ridiculous! But after searching DAY and NIGHT for this one last piece, I was beyond elated to have FINALLY finished the appliance part of the kitchen! The stove, microwave and dishwasher all have half moon handles that match the handles on the cupboards. It looks BEAUTIFUL! And I've got a gentleman coming over today with granite samples. And then the kitchen will be complete.

But wait, there's more! After receiving delivery on the dishwasher and microwave, my friend Darbie mentioned that her mom might be looking for new appliances and could she come over to take a look at mine. And just like that, all of my previous appliances were sold! So, for $500 out of pocket, I've got completely updated kitchen appliances!

5 comments:

wittygal said...

Impressive!

wackywilsons said...

Your kitchen looks amazing! I love your angles of all the appliances...can´t wait for the last finishing touch! Granite!

Austin and Whitney Cooley said...

Looks awesome... Good job!

aliciamae100 said...

UH-MAZE-ING!! I love the finished kitchen and your story of how you collected all the appliances is quite impressive. It looks so great!

Erika said...

Great job Leslie! It looks wonderful...and all your hard Craigslist work paid off!.